Monday, October 5, 2009

The Cocoon Became Too Small

I have worked in cosmetic sales for all of my adult life. I first got into the industry because I wanted to be a makeup artist. I felt that this would allow me to help women feel beautiful and, therefore, feel good about themselves. It was also a way for me to express myself creatively while earning a living and helping women. For a while, it was great. I learned a lot about makeup application and became a regional artist for a cosmetic line. Yet, something was still missing. I began to read about Afrikan people here and abroad and realized that I knew very little about my global ancestry.

One interesting thing about reading: It always leads me to read about another subject. I started reading about the oppression of women, Afrikan spirituality, crystals and oils, aromatherapy, orisa, witchcraft, KMT, etc. As someone who was the grand daughter of a pastor and a born again Christian who, before she "backslid", had plans to enter the ministry, this was all new and frightening yet I couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) turn away. I wanted to KNOW about all of those things that I'd been told to stay away from. And you know what? Not only is knowledge power, it is freeing! It was intoxicating and I wanted more then and I still want more now.

Yesterday, after having been on this path for over fifteen years and becoming increasingly fed up with this dehumanized world, everything came to a head: My job let me go. I had felt it coming in the ethers for a few weeks and I was embracing the opportunity to evolve once again. This is the chance to live a more authentic, a fuller life that is in harmony with the cosmos. This is the path of the priestess, the midwife, the wisewoman.

My interest are geared towards natural living, midwifery, veganism, herbal healing, building community and healing the earth. I am embracing the interconnectedness of all life. I see that we are all connected to each other, the plants, animals, minerals and the universe. This blog is my online journal of my journey.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Dina Peace said...

My new favorite blog! Thanks so much for this!